Thursday, September 2, 2010

Too many symptoms? All in your head?

If you have too many symptoms, too many things "wrong" with you, then you might want to try a Gluten-Free Diet. Most people will be diagnosed with IBS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and other auto-immune diseases before they will ever be diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Why? Most doctors are unaware that Celiac disease must be ruled out FIRST before another diagnosis can be found. This is my opinion that I base on too many people being misdiagnosed WHEN a simple test will for sure tell if someone has Celiac Disease or not. There is no test for IBS. Also, Alessia Fasano, M. D., believes that there may be a connection between Celiac Disease and other autoimmune disorders. Basically, that the other disorders are may come into existence because the patient was never tested for Celiac Disease.

Celiac Disease Insights: Clues to Solving Autoimmunity ", by Alessio Fasano, M.D.  published, by Scientific American Magazine, August 2009, says "Surprisingly, essentially the same trio—an environmental trigger, a genetic susceptibility and a “leaky gut”—seems to underlie other autoimmune disorders as well. This finding raises the possibility that new treatments for CD may also ameliorate other conditions." This hints strongly of a possible connection between Gluten intolerance and autoimmune disorders. Given the symptoms my mother has, I can see how her arthritis may be connected to a gluten intolerance. I strongly believe that my mother needs to go on a Gluten-Free diet. It may actually reverse her diarrhea, but may not reverse her crippling arthritis. Her fingers are bent and her hands hurt her. The problem is convincing her that she actually ingests gluten in foods other than pasta and bread. She thinks the Pasta and bread is the only source of Gluten.  She also has gluten every time she goes to the coffee shop, which is 2 to 3 times a week.

Resources:
Celiac.com
Cleiac Disease Symptoms

Celiac Organization 
Celiac News

Please read on, for more information.



In short, if you have been diagnosed with IBS, have stomach area cramps, that may be on the right side, but is not the appendix or the stomach, then I'd highly recommend getting tested for Celiac Disease. Yes, these pains can be in the stomach too, but if they aren't in the stomach, its even more likely, in my opinion based on others testimonies, to be Celiac Disease. There is other symptoms too that some people have, like bloating, diahrrea ( as mentioned earlier), constipation, fatigue, tingling or numbness in the fingers or  other body parts, gas, canker sores, fatigue (needing naps often), thin bones, brittle nails or nails that break easily, joint pain, weight loss or poor weight gain, discolored teeth or loss of enamel (Pop and smoking can also cause this),  missed periods, skin rash thats itchy, diagnosed with any kind of arthritis or IBS, behavior changes. This last symptom is a common cause in food sensitivities and allergies. Cinnamon causes a behavior change in me.

Why Arthritis or IBS? The article I referred to above, was written by a doctor who thinks there maybe a connection. Some people who have posted their health diagnosis' online have claimed arthritis of some sort, usually Rheumatoid, and Celiac Disease.  Many, if not most, of the people who have posted previous diagnosis', have been told they have IBS but then later found out that it was really Celiac disease.

Even though many of the symptoms can indicate another disorder or more serious problem, I would try a Gluten-Free diet anyways, as it won't hurt you. If you have many foods you can't eat and are Vegan as well, you may need to consult with a dietician just to be sure you get all of your dietary needs met. If you do eat animal, poultry or fish, you may do okay on your own.

Recommended Google© search:
Alessio Fasano celiac and autoimmune 

* * *
My Story:
My doctor felt a long time ago, that I should have been tested for Celiac Disease because my bloating never went away. I told him that I have too little I can eat, and need the gluten foods just to keep my blood sugars stable. The truth was, that it is nearly impossible to find a Dietician that is skilled in Gluten-Free Vegan diets that are free from Brocolli, Onion, Bok Choy, Celery, Garlic, Radishes, and all the other Vegetables and foods I can not eat. He understood where I was coming from, and relented. However, I did promise that someday, I would do the research and learn better nutrition. This blog, is my attempts at that goal. My biggest issue in reaching this goal, is keeping a computer working long enough, to complete the goal. My sister and I are going to head to the food co-op and get "gluten-free" flour. We will then have a pasta making session where we practice making and freezing gluten-free pasta. I'll post our results over in the Allergic Vegetarian blog. However, don't expect that post for a few weeks yet.

My next blog post should be a listing of all the foods I should be eating, as I need that for my Recipe blog and need it so I can change my diet on the fly. I hope this list will help you as well. This will be more of a whole foods list and will assume that all dishes are made from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment