Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fradulent Sites and how to avoid them...

decoremyeyes dot Com is allegedly a Fraudulent site. The Today Show did a feature on it. The owner of the site allegedly harasses customers. It will only be a matter of time before the world police finds this guy and arrest him, I hope. Why allegedly? We all know, that I can be sued for telling the truth. And besides, everyone is innocent until proven guilty in the court of law.

So, how do i avoid such sites?



1) Check the symbolic images they have from other companies. Do they have a BBB symbol? The CSS3, HTML5, PHP5 or other symbolic images from W3 Organization , a web consortium that helps make rules for the web? These symbolic images often show they care about their website enough to reach currrent standards in both web standards and Good business standards.

2)   The BBB:
Go to the BBB  and check to see if they have any comments or feedback on a particular site.
This symbol is the first symbol I look for. I'm not saying that without this symbol, they are fraudelent, because their are many worthy sites that do not have this symbol. What I am saying is that if they have this symbol, they are more likely to be legit. And, you can go to the BBB's website and check out the company.

3) Check their SSL Certification. Is it current? Do they even have one?

4) Check for the Verisign symbol. This is considered almost the ONLY symbol that credit card companies will allow. If you are a math wizard, and create an algorithm that can't be hacked, and use it for processing credit card orders, most credit card companies will still not allow you to purchase on your site. Monopoly? Yes, but even though it only makes a small dent in the number of fraudulent sites, is still adds up to millions of dollars saved each year that don't get taken by fraud.

5) Check out what others are saying about that company. Personally, I prefer google. Do check sites that are NOT related to the company your are checking out. If you look in the "about us", notice the location of the company. Notice the similiarity of names between that company name, and other companies in the same larger metropolitan area as that company. One company that supposedly helps you with credit card debt, appears to have at least 3 similiar names. Negative feedback has been found on this company on the BBB.

6) Check to see how many testimonies are on the front page of the site you are checking out. Read them. Many sites that have testimonies on their front page are not legit. These so-called testimonies, are often faked.

7) Do they seem to have too many choices? Do they seem to be a 'jack-of-all-trades'? Do they have 'you name it, we'll get it' attitude? This may be a sign of desperation for business. Their may be a good reason why they are desperate.

You may ask, "So, what makes your allergicvegetarian.com different? Aren't you trying to  do "you name it, we'll create it" where recipes are concerned?"

I'm not collecting money, nor do I have a way for you to donate money to me. Yes, I am, admittedly, trying to cater my site to as many different unique food allergies as possible but only because I was so frustrated with my own attempts to find recipes that had flavour and that I was not allergic too. I won't pretend to be an expert in food allergies nor in nutrition. My dream will materialize over several years, as I refine my knowledge and skills. Seed Allergy is my current research topic. Also, I intend to never sell anything, nor collect money directly from a customer. Incidentally, anyone who emails Allergic Vegetarian with a request of recipes, will only get questions to be sure I understand the unique requirements, and then a direct link to the page where their navigational links to their recipes are found. This page will ONLY contain their recipes, and a link back to the main site.

No comments:

Post a Comment