Thursday, May 20, 2010

NO Cinnamon as a preservative please!

I'm VERY allergic! If food companies start using cinnamon as a preservative, I'll die only because I won't have anything left to eat! I can't keep my blood sugars up without carbs. I'm a Vegetarian who needs carbs from some source.




The article, as quoted from healthy muslim
"Lead researcher Erdogan Ceylan, M.S., reported that in apple juice samples inoculated with about one million E. coli O157:H7 bacteria, about one teaspoon (0.3 percent) of cinnamon killed 99.5 percent of the bacteria in three days at room temperature (25 C). When the same amount of cinnamon was combined with either 0.1 percent sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate, preservatives approved by the Food and Drug Administration, the E. coli were knocked out to an undetectable level. The number of bacteria added to the test samples was 100 times the number typically found in contaminated food.

This research indicates that the use of cinnamon alone and in combination with preservatives in apple juice, besides its flavoring effect, might reduce and control the number of E. coli O157:H7," concluded Ceylan, a pH.D. graduate assistant at K-State. "Cinnamon may help protect consumers against foodborne bacteria that may be in unpasteurized juices and may partially or completely replace preservatives in foods to maintain their safety," he said.
[end quote]

 I know they are putting more cinnamon in cereals. I now can't buy cereal from any company that carries a cinnamon cereal, as I physically react to small amounts of cinnamon and can't risk cross contamination. I've not bought cereal in months, once I realized how severe I react to Cinnamon, physically. Besides giving me a very bad sore throat and burning nose, lungs, etc., Cinnamon causes a severe chemical reaction in me that makes me have violent thoughts, where if I were to act on those thoughts, I'd strangle someone. So far, I've been able to control that side effect with Seroquel, if necessary, but who wants to attempt to get a prescription for seroquel when you don't have mental illness, for others who have this same reaction but do not have mental illness? I am also very much aware of whats going on in my mind and will run away to safety, so no one is really in danger. Thats because I know the routine, thankfully! However, I'd rather not even have to deal with this issue at all. And, if I'm having a bad day, and am taken by surprise and ingest cinnamon when I wasn't expecting too (label gave no clues, or whatever), I could, under the right circumstances (as rare as that might be), land myself  in a heap of legal trouble. This is the #1 reason why Bush should NEVER have been made President! He is responsible for food laws changing such that they do NOT need to list all ingredients! Bush is an idiot who needs to become allergic to some something less common, and then almost die from it and land in the hospital for 6 months. That might have Congress take note and then decide that food laws must change. I doubt it, but just maybe. I know we lobbied to stop the law in the first place to no avail. What we really need is every person's family who had a relative die from a food allergy because the label didn't indicate that food item, send congress a bill for the total funeral cost, with a Lawyers official letter, stating why they were being given the bill, and have on that letter the exact place where such law exists in the books, with a direct quote of the law that made this person die from no fault of their own. As if that will ever happen!


So, please do not put Cinnamon in all foods! Besides, just because I'm allergic to a particular food item, someone who can eat meat, but not cinnamon, might die instead. No one needs to die because food companies don't care about those of us with food allergies to UNCOMMON foods. If they did, they would have put ALL food and spice items on the label, and not simply "spice" or "other spices"!
Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Authors Note: This maybe somewhat of a rant, but its my reality. Unless you have severe food allergies, you won't understand why this is so important. Its one thing to die, and completely another to land yourself in jail because of a severe reaction gone wrong. The courts don't want another Twinkie defense, as it won't work. And, I really don't blame them! Granted, my case would be very different, as the twinkie defendant did not prove allergy that caused chemical imbalance. And, they now have technology and know how to read, brain scans to determine chemical imbalances. PET scan works wonders, but still. The scan costs around $10,000 (2010 prices) and shouldn't have to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should update this and tell you that Chex™ cereals, I have not had a cross-contamination issue with yet when eating Corn or Rice Chex™. I did call them and at that time (late 2011) they made the GF cereals without cinnamon first.

    ReplyDelete