Monday, October 11, 2010

GF Dining at its Blandest... :P

Are you Vegan? Vegetarian? Allergic to Onion? And Gluten-Free? Welcome to the greatest feast on the planet of ROAD KILL. Sorry! Has it ever occurred to them that Vegan and Vegetarians are not immuned to food allergies and sensitivities? Of course not! By the way, hospitals and their Mental Health wards tend to believe that all mentally ill with food allergies are chronic liars and can eat meat, chicken and other road kill. The next time I get so treated at a hospital, I'm suing for millions of dollars. And, the only reason why I will lose is because
1) I didn't die, 
2) I have mental illness and
3) Every one knows that you can't get a fair trial if you have mental illness and live in my neck of the woods.

They also have a tendency to think that Celiacs have NO taste buds and don't appreciate good food. Or, they think that "Well, its not my problem you are that way. You should just be glad you have something to eat!" or "We don't have time! Its bad enough I even have to accommodate you at all." This is not necessarily the owner speaking, but often the staff. Managers tend to be fools in this area. Many waitresses I've had issues with...especially at one restaurant that got raving D reviews! 40 reviews of 1 star or less.

What can we do about it?



1) We need someone with Celiac and familiar with other alleries to step up to the plate and start their own cooking school.
2) We need to start our own restaurants in all the major hubs.
3) We need to bring in our creations, and see about getting Restaurant owners to taste it and buy into its flavor.
4) We need to education restaurants why its important for them to cater to us with good food. We will come back.
5) We need to stop being afraid to speak out nicely.
6) We need to get involved. Be an advocate because the government won't!
7) We need to actually petition the government to change the law so that hospitals, nursing homes, and assisted care facilities MUST accommodate ALL SPECIAL dietary allergies  and sensitivities 24/7/365 so that Diabetics are also accommodated.

What am I doing about it? I mean, besides writing about it. My parents are so under supportive that I can't wait until they die! I'm tired of the abuse. Really tired! Unfortunately, being on disability, makes it very difficult for me to cut off all ties with them. Otherwise, I would have done this years ago! This stresses me out so much, that I have not the energy to create a petition. But, I do tell politicians when I see them.

I do try to get people interested at coffee shops, if they happen to talk to me. Unfortunately, we are raised to not give a damn unless it me with the problem. Remember that pro-war mother who became anti-war the instant her son died? Precisely what I'm talking about. Unless they marry or become a Celiac, they are disinterested and don't think it matters.

Frustrating! Its even harder when I have no support group in my area, because my email goes to their spam folder! CELIAC.ORG. IF YOU SEE THIS PLEASE COMMENT BELOW AS YOU HAVE NOT CONTACTED ME YET! Phones do NOT work well with me, but I might have to phone. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment